Can you eat wheatgrass? Take two


I just got another comment from someone saying that they are putting straight wheatgrass into the blender with other smoothie ingredients and just blending it and eating it. Will this work? Yes and No. Of course, you can do this, and it will chop the grass into small pieces and you can drink it, but you still have one fundamental problem, which is:

Human stomachs can't break down the fibers in straight wheatgrass. You can eat/drink it, but you will just poop it out later. The extra fiber might be good for you, but you won't be getting very much of the nutritional benefits of the wheatgrass this way.

This is why people juice it. The juicer mechanically separates the juice from the undigestible fiber. I HIGHLY recommend juicing the wheatgrass before consuming it. I think some people just toss the grass into the blender because they don't have a juicer! If you don't have a juicer yet, it is a great investment that will only set you back $45 or so if you want the cheapest manual kind, or $150 + for a fancy electric one. Take a look here at the many juicers available to buy.
After you have juiced the wheatgrass, you can easily mix the juice into the blender with whatever you are juicing, and it will work great. This is wonderful for the many people who just can't stomach straight wheatgrass juice. It can be strong stuff!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

My husband eats a whole tray of wheatgrass or barley grass daily and he's been doing this for over a year." Its fantastic! The fiber is excellent for bowel movements." He prefers eating it to just the juice. "I know I'm definitely getting the energetic and nutritive value. Of course its work chewing it but for me its worth the effort!"

Anonymous said...

I am growing it for the first time and it is so easy to plant! I am so excited I feel like MArtha Stewart but I was not sure how you went about eating it. I will try the old fashion way of just tearing it out if the grown and chewing it up.

KV said...

If you blend the wheatgrass in a Blendtec or a Vitamix, do you think you'll get more nutrients than a traditional blender? (as well as the unnecessary fiber)

Unknown said...

My daughter has autism and pica, which is eating non food items. She likes pine needles and grass. I thought Wheatgrass might be a viable alternative. She won't stop eating grass and it's everywhere so perhaps this will be better

3RMama said...

thanks!! I needed to know =)

patrileys said...

Eating it is better than drinking it unless of course you just want a quick pick me up. A secret business wants to keep a secret because they capitalize on all the problems associated with people not eating it.

b elle said...

One can easily blend their wheatgrass in a blender (if that's all they can afford yet) and then use a cheese cloth or a nut/milk bag to strain the juice from the fiber out into solely a juice drink. Thoughts?

dewey said...

you are absolutely correct

dewey said...

Do not believe all those who say you can not use a blender to prepare your wheatgrass juice. I blend my wheatgrass in a blender with no problems, and very good juice extraction. I cut my wheatgrass into one inch pieces, mix with 1/2 to 1 cup of water and blend on high speed for approximately one minute. Get a small strainer and press mixture thru it if you do not want the fiber. I mix my wheatgrass juice and fiber into a fruit smoothie. Throwing the fiber away is a waste of money and fiber that our bodies need. I also take wheatgrass to work with me, and chew on it to get juiced during the day!

greg said...

I actually like to use Wheatgrasss powder. I am able to mix it in with my food and it gives everything a nice taste.